Network Outage - 01/28/2007 - 6:30pm
Thinking we were getting attacked from the internet we began a wild search to find out what was the issue. We started with the Domain Controllers and found inconsistent errors when running dcdiags. After checking out the VOIP network and found that to be running well. We turned are attentions to the network switches. Turning off each one and then back on in order we found the switch that was causing the issue. Using the network monitoring tool, we removed each network connection from the switch until we found the port that was causing are issue. We then tracced the network cable to the office location and found out that a network cable was patched between our 2 networks causing a fountain of denial attacks on the network. So remember do not cross the streams.